Well, Casino Royale is a pretty good movie. Some quick notes:
- The stunts and physicality of the movie is astonishing. This is a much more muscular Bond movie, both figuratively and literally.
- It’s also a darker and significantly more violent movie than previous Bonds. I’m kinda surprised that it’s still PG-13.
- Speaking of physicality, when was the last time that a Bond had biceps?
- The movie sags a bit in the middle over a very high-stakes poker game. And while I’m not really a very good poker player (these two are far better than I, to name two), the poker playing in the high-stakes hands that we see isn’t really very good.
- Eva Green will have a great career ahead of her, if she can avoid the curse of the Bond Girl.
- No freaking sharks with freaking laserbeams; when the bad guy captures Bond, all he needs is a rattan chair with the seat cut out and a heavy rope.
- The body count is pretty darn high.
- At least one reader of this blog will be tickled to know that at one point, Bond orders a drink made of Gin, Vodka, Lillet, and a lemon twist, and then spends some time pondering what to name it.
Overall, though, it’s a very refreshing change-up in the series. I look forward to the next one.